Saturday 14 May 2011

Prototype: Orientation-Adapative Grid

"Orientation adaptive Grid" is a concept I drew up earlier this week and I finally turned it into a working prototype yesterday. There really isn't a lot to talk about - It reacts to the orientation of the camera and shows/hides the three available grids. The video below demonstrates this in a few seconds...



(watch is high-quality to see the lines)

I'm not quite sure if I will be using this in the later stages of my editor - so far it goes look kinda cool and doesn't seem too distracting - it will require some more tuning (of the alpha values) and once the ViewCube (seen in the top-right corner) is complete I will revisit this concept as they play pretty well together.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tom,

    From a usability standpoint, could I suggest that you use different colors for each grid: it would help instantly know on which plane we are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that might be a good idea indeed :) I will look back into this when I get a proper scene running and see what improvements are necessary (currently, I think it is mostly disorienting because the scene is completly empty)

    ReplyDelete